What causes soil erosion?
Soil erosion is the gradual wearing away of soil surface, which removes organic matter and key nutrients in the process. If it continues unchecked, erosion can degrade soil quality and decrease rooting depth, reducing crop yields. Sediment and nutrients removed by water erosion can kill fish and impact water quality, and blowing dust from wind erosion can cause safety hazards.
Type of natural erosion
1) Sheet erosion by water;
2) Wind erosion;
3) Rill erosion – happens with heavy rains and usually creates smalls rills over hillsides;
4) Gully erosion – when water runoff removes soil along drainage lines
5) Ephemeral erosion that occurs in natural depressions.
Why Is Soil Erosion Such a Big Problem?
Soil is a natural resource that may look robust and endless, but is in fact the fragile product of thousands of years of formation. Topsoil, which lies closest to the surface of the land, contains essential nutrients for crops. It is this layer of soil that is endangered by wind and water erosion. Soil erosion decreases soil fertility, which can negatively affect crop yields. It also sends soil-laden water downstream, which can create heavy layers of sediment that prevent streams and rivers from flowing smoothly and can eventually lead to flooding. Once soil erosion occurs, it is more likely to happen again.
This is a global problem. Soil is eroding more quickly than it is being formed, causing land to become unsuitable for agriculture – a particularly serious concern in a world where the population is expected to top 9 billion by midcentury. Smarter land management is a necessity.
How to prevent and reduce soil erosion
You can reduce soil erosion by:
- Maintaining a healthy, perennial plant cover.
- Planting a cover crop– such as winter rye in vegetable gardens. Includes annual grasses, small grains, legumes and other types of vegetation planted to provide a temporary vegetative cover. Cover crops are often tilled under serving also as a “green manure” crop.
- Placing crushed stone, wood chips, and other similar materials in heavily used areas where vegetation is hard to establish and maintain.
- Addressing problem areas of that get lots of storm water runoff. Solutions to these problem areas include redirecting stormwater and roof runoff to areas that can settle and dissipate water, such as a rain garden.
- Using other erosion controls such as cocunut coir net coir blanket . These coir net work well on steep slopes and heavy traffic areas. Coir net coir blanket are imbedded firmly on roads and places such as mountain and river bank. When it is raining, the coir mats hold the soil covered by them to avoid being washed. As time passes by, they can dissolve into land and enrich it with several nutrition from coconut fiber. Due to the great functions of coir mats, they are widely used in many developed countries.
Coconut coir mat coir net of Vietnam
Vietnam has an abundant source of coconut fiber, which paves the way for the coir mat making industry to develop quickly to meet the increasing demand of countries which take soil erosion problems seriously and have chosen coir mat as their solution. In Vietnam there are many manufacturing companies which utilize the wasted coconut shell resource to create a wide range of products made from coconut fiber such as coir mat, coir rope, coir net/coir mesh. By producing several environmental-friendly products made from coconut fiber, we have been contributing to a more sustainable life and a greener future for our next generation.
Coco Hitech JSC – Coconut products exporting center of Vietnam
Coco Hitech JSC is a company that is specialized in manufacturing and exporting Vietnamese coir mat of high quality to foreign partners around the world. With more than 30 experienced workers and modern technology, hundreds of high quality coir mats are being produced everyday. If you haven’t had known much about coir mat but interested in finding solutions for dealing with soil erosion problem, please contact us for more information.
Representative: Mr. Ryan ( Vietnam ): +84 938244404
Miss Lan ( Korea ): +84 969 273 598
Naver blog: https://blog.naver.com/cocohitech_jsc
Kakao Story: https://story.kakao.com/cocohitechvn